Friday, August 1, 2008

Exploring Flickr

What can I say. I found this very time consuming, not least because I am only on dial-up and my server will insist on cutting the connection if I stay on the line too long. I checked out some of the links but I think I am technophobic as I really couldn't understand a lot of it. I don't think my mind goes in the same direction as all the people who have displayed their photos and tags. I some how ended up with a map of Oxford first time round and then managed to get Carfax Tower but tried again when I had to go back in to get the web link and then managed to find the images straight away.
I looked up photos of Carfax Tower as it was one of my teenage haunts - the meet and greeting place of all young lovers and others. Some of the photos were of the tower itself and others were taken from the top looking down on the streets around and surrounding districts.

Oxford a town of dreaming spires
An education to which one aspires
Undergrads in gowns they strut
A contrast to the village slut
At the crossroads where four main streets meet
Stands Carfax Tower, a place of meet and greet.
Young lovers gaze into each other's eyes
While those stood-up try to walk on by.
Climb to the top and what do you see?
A view all around across city and lea.
Cars are now banned, there are buses galore
If you don't maind waiting, that's for sure.
Tourists abound, what languagesdo I hear?
French and German, like music to my ear.

The link is
Photos of Carfax Tower, Oxford

1 comment:

NSL Training Support Team said...

Flickr has obviously inspired your creative side. Lovely image - wonderful poem.